Step 3: Prepare for an informal resolution

Informal resolution

​An Early Resolution Officer (ERO) may contact you or your counsel to obtain additional information regarding your appeal and discuss your case. This will help determine if your appeal can be resolved without an oral hearing.

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)

Your appeal may be scheduled for an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) conference. An ADR is suggested only for appropriate cases. An ADR is an informal meeting between you, the Minister’s Counsel and an ERO to discuss the case, clarify the issues and encourage both sides to agree on a decision. If your appeal is resolved at the ADR, there is no need for a hearing. You will receive a decision confirming that your case is resolved.

See Attending an ADR conference at the IAD for more information on what to expect and how to prepare for an ADR conference.