- Temporary Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada office closures
Due to winter storms affecting much of the country, the following Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) offices will be closed on December 23.
- Recruitment campaign for Immigration Appeal Division and Refugee Appeal Division members
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is seeking candidates for full-time Governor in Council (GIC) appointed decision-makers (“members”) in Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver.
- IRB publishes two quality reports: Quality performance at the ID and at the RAD
The IRB has released its latest quality reports for two divisions: the Refugee Appeal Division and the Immigration Division.
- New web content is now available to support individuals making an immigration appeal
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is pleased to announce that new webpages to help individuals appeal an immigration decision are now live.
- IRB issues a practice notice on the scheduling of virtual, hybrid, and in-person hearings
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada has issued Practice Notice: Scheduling of virtual, hybrid, and in-person hearings at the IRB and it is now in effect for hearings to be held on October 18, 2022 or later.
- Closure of IRB offices on Monday, September 19: day of mourning and one-time federal holiday
Monday, September 19, 2022, will be a one-time holiday for the federal public service.
- Identification of a jurisprudential guide
The Chairperson of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada has identified Refugee Appeal Division decision TC1-05038 as a jurisprudential guide.
- The IRB releases a revised Chairperson’s Guideline 4
The IRB has released an updated version of its Chairperson's Guideline 4 on Women Refugee Claimants Fearing Gender-Related Persecution, based on a comprehensive review conducted between Spring 2020 and Winter 2022.
- Release of report: Quality performance in the Refugee Protection Division 2020-21
Quality decisions that are both fair and efficient are at the core of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada's (IRB) mandate.
- Release of the report and management response and action plan on the sense of access to justice associated with virtual hearings
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) has released the Report on the sense of access to justice associated with virtual hearings held before the IRB using MS Teams and the corresponding Management Response and Action Plan (MRAP).
- New Policy on the Use of Chairperson’s Guidelines and Jurisprudential Guides
The IRB has updated its policy suite by amalgamating key elements of the Policy on the use of Chairperson's Guidelines and the Policy on the Use of Jurisprudential Guides.
- The IRB releases new procedures and annual report for member complaints
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is committed to rendering quality decisions and to upholding a high standard of conduct.
- Proposed Immigration Appeal Division Rules are now available for review and comment
Proposed Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) Rules have been pre-published in the Canada Gazette, Part I. The public can review and comment on the proposed Rules now through July 11.
- IRB offers additional on-site rooms to address challenges some people may face with virtual hearings
- Remote-only hearings
Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) hearings are currently being held remotely, as a matter of general application.
- IRB releases new remuneration schedule for contracted designated representatives
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is pleased to release a new remuneration schedule for contracted Designated Representatives (DRs).
- Ukrainian files to be prioritized
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is monitoring the invasion of Ukraine.
- Volunteer to have your refugee claim scheduled on short notice
The Refugee Protection Division (RPD) occasionally has hearing slots that become available on short notice.